The 4496-8 is the 2-Channel DAC configuration of the LavryBlue™ System.
The LavryBlue System is a modular design which allows the end user to populate the 1U 19″ chassis with stereo modules that provide a variety of functions. Each unit may hold up to 4 channels of microphone preamplification, up to 8 channels of analog to digital conversion (ADC) or 8 channels of digital to analog conversion (DAC); or a combination of these functions. Each module has two channels and fills either 1 or 2 of the 4 available module slots in the chassis. Basic systems can be ordered with a minimum of one stereo module, allowing user installation of additional modules at a later date.
Modules available for the 4496 chassis:
- LavryBlue M-AD 824: a 2-channel ADC module requiring 1 module slot.
- LavryBlue M-DA 824: a 2-channel DAC module requiring 1 module slot.
- LavryBlue MicPre Module: a 2-channel microphone preamplification module requiring 2 module slots.
In addition to these modules, any chassis which includes any ADC channels will also include a LavryBlue M-Sync.
This multichannel clock synchronization module features ultra-stable crystal-referenced internal or external sync operation at 44.1, 48, 88.2, and 96 kHz. Wide lock mode is available for non-standard sample rates or vari-speed operation.
One M∙SYNC is required to provide clocking and synchronization for all M∙AD824 AD converter modules contained in the same 4496 chassis; This module also provides Word Clock out to synch other units and allow multiple racks of LavryBlue to function as one system.
Advantages of the modular design:
- Ideal for multi-channel systems.
- Independent operation of the AD and DA converter clocking. Each M∙DA824 stereo DA converter module clocks from the incoming digital audio steam. This allows recording and playback at different sample rates with devices that are not synchronized; for example- record to a DAW at 96kHz while playing back a CD from a stand-alone CD player. Multiple M∙DA’s can also operate either independently for playback of unsynchronized sources at different sample rates, or sample-accurately in multi-channel systems.
- Minimal systems can contain one AD, one DA, or one of each for stereo applications. Another popular configuration is one AD and two DA modules for “looping” a signal out of a DAW and monitoring the re-encoded signal; as in Mastering systems with analog and digital processing.
- Microphone preamplifiers can be used independently of the converters, or with analog processing inserted between the MicPre and AD input.
- Digital AES/XLR inputs and outputs are compatible with most SPDIF/RCA I/O using simple adapters or adapter cables.
- Field expandability allows the system to grow as your needs change or budget allows.
- 2 channels of sonically transparent Lavry D-to-A conversion
- CrystalLock™ mode option eliminates the effects of source jitter on conversion accuracy.